Friday, May 24, 2013

And so it begins...

Since making the decision, in 2010, to return to playing from memory after about 18 years of playing from score, a number of musician colleagues have asked me exactly how it is that I memorize--indeed, internalize--music. And now, after much contemplation, I've decided to create this blog in order to discuss my process of memorization. Hopefully, you'll add your comments here in order to help explore the nature of memory and music.

Before continuing with a discussion of the how, I should probably comment a little on the why. But before even doing that, I will explore a little of why I stopped memorizing in the first place.

In the meantime, I invite you to read my article, Dear Harpsichordists: Why Don't We Play From Memory?, published in the September 2011 edition of The Diapason.

No comments:

Post a Comment