Wednesday, October 23, 2013

CONCLUSIONS: A summary of HOW

Writing a concluding summary to a blog seems counterintuitive to the dynamic nature of blogs. Likewise, writing a concluding summary to a blog on memorization seems counterintuitive to the dynamic nature of memorization.

Throughout the entire process of writing this blog, I kept coming back to some very basic concepts. Going forward, I can't imagine working without these fundamental elements:

  • practice log
  • timer
  • metronome
  • landmarks.
As I continued to write, I found that, while I had been using these elements consistently, my application of them was in constant need of refinement. I also found that, at times, I was sorely lacking in one of the most discipline-challenging parts of any memorization practice:
  • mental work away from the instrument.
In the coming days, months, and years, I am sure that I will continue to refine my approach to memorization. I don't every think it will get easier, but I do think that I'll get better at it. Will I memorize faster? I hope so, although another main concept of my approach is:
  • patience.
It's not about speed; it's about quality. This becomes especially apparent when returning to pieces that have been put aside for some time.

Above all, it's important to know that you and I will continue to find new memorization techniques along the way. These will be applied to what we're working on at the moment, and they will be applied to works that we're bringing back to life. Just as I improved from my early lapse experiences, we can continue to improve further down the path.

There is always more to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment